Wednesday, November 19, 2014

Promethea

One of the most prominent symbols is the sun. Every page has a stylized sun with a face that hang on the margins. The sun's face has different subtle expressions depending on what is happening in the story on a given page. Its eyes will be open or closed, which make it difficult for me to decypher its emotion. However, it always looks stoic, and seems like the presence of the gods who are watching over, as well as representing strength in the face of chaos. Since the cover features Promethea heavily back lit by blinding sun rays, and the presence of the father's gods bring strong sunlight, the sun seems to be a symbol of the Gods' strength. Therefore with its appearance on every page, even in parts of the story when little Promethea was lost or Sophie seemed powerless and the panels of the world are dark, the stoic sun is almost like the underlying presence of Promethea and her strength. Always there, lying in wait.
One of the elements I was able to connect with most is the idea that stories are unyielding and enduring. Promethea in ancient Lexandria was saved by becoming a story. It is through stories that she is channeled throughout history. And it is through Sophie Bangs investigating her story and writing something about her that allows her to channel Promethea's strength and save Mrs. Shelley. I do believe that stories are immortal and some of the strongest things created by humanity. It is a notion that I feel is almost godly. So the fact that Promethea features the idea that "story" is also a strong, physical being, really hooked me in.
Being an animator, if I had to create this story in another medium, I would make an animated short film. I love the style Moore illustrated Promethea. The colors are well used in their respective situations, whether its the warm yellows of Promethea in ancient Lexandria, or the cold blues of Sophie Bangs in the sketchy city at night. I'd love to keep the feel that is brought about by the color. In animation we are taught to stylize characters; if they're too realistic, why animate when you can just film it? I agree with this notion somewhat, and therefore I'd take Moore's realistic characters and simplify them into appealing, more stylized characters, and take advantage of the graphic aesthetic of the overall work. The comic I noticed also relies on verbal to visual transitions, with certain words in bold for emphasis. For example, Sophie Bangs says, "Just like that...out in the cold," with the next panel featuring young Promethea alone in the desert at night. These would make beautiful transitions in film, however, I feel the transitions have to be slower to keep its poeticness. While the reader can take their time transitioning themselves from one panel to another, a film going at the constant rate of 24 frames per second has to be more constructive in guiding its audience through the story. Therefore I would keep the dialogue (said without the cheesy bold emphasis), but I would have to take my time in the next scene establishing Promethea alone, or the "heavily city" in the present.

No comments:

Post a Comment