Friday, October 3, 2014

Week 4: Tintin

In our introduction to the comic book, I chose to read "Tintin goes to Tibet." I first heard of Tintin when I was in the 4th grade, when it was library time and everyone would flock to the Tin tin shelf. I did not read it then, but when I read it now, I could see why Tin tin was so popular. Everything about the Tin tin series, whether design, characters, or story, is very appealing. Visually, Herge illustrates the comic linearally and cel-shades the color. It is bright, simple, and lends to a lot of visual clarity. Personally, I found it a relief after reading render-heavy comics that utilized lots of blacks and cross-hatch rendering.

Story-wise, Herge does well in writing a narrative that is full of story questions, therefore keeping readers engaged. Whether it was the main story question of "will Tintin find his friend alive?" or a small question such as "will the captain get beat up for yelling at that man," I could not pull myself away until I finished the whole book because I just had to know the answers. Story questions are essential to good storytelling, and it is what Little Nemo and many other early comics and movies lacked.

No comments:

Post a Comment